|1445 Ross Avenue|
Dallas, TX 75202
Jonathan Childers maintains an active business trial and litigation practice in the state and federal courts of Texas, and beyond. He focuses primarily on complex commercial, energy, and employment litigation, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He litigates and tries cases frequently involving breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference, partnership disputes, oil and gas, finance, theft of trade secrets, non-compete agreements, business disparagement, and breach of fiduciary duty. Jonathan regularly assists clients in the finance (including private equity and investment management), energy, commercial real estate, and healthcare industries.
Jonathan served as a law clerk for the Honorable Sam A. Lindsay, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, where he acquired experience in trial and motion practice, class action management, actions for injunctive relief, business torts, and employment disputes.
Jonathan believes that providing service to the community is part of his privilege of being a business trial lawyer. When he is not working, he spends significant time helping young lawyers and assisting Southern Methodist University.
- Obtained $7.86 million jury verdict on behalf of medical consulting and services company for breach of contract and tortious interference.
- Successful defense of international private equity firm and two of its executives in four week jury trial over alleged breach of fiduciary duty and contracts.
- Regularly pursues and defends cases involving temporary restraining orders and injunctions in state and federal courts.
- Defends and pursues partnership and business divorce disputes, often under Texas and Delaware law.
- Frequently pursues and defends claims for veil piercing liability and fraudulent transfer.
- Successfully prosecuted a substantial finder's fee dispute concerning the introduction of M&A targets, including the defense of counterclaims for alleged securities violations.
- Favorable defense of an LLC and majority member in dispute involving a major mixed-use development project in north Texas; obtained an order cancelling lis pendens.
- Successfully prosecuted significant commercial real estate fraud litigation involving numerous parties and cross-claims.
- Obtained successful settlement of restrictive covenant dispute for major Dallas real estate developer.
- Favorable defense of national retailer in contract and bailment dispute.
- Handles contract litigation for large Texas-based employment search firm.
- Pursues negotiable instrument litigation for national REIT; obtained numerous judgments on behalf of client.
- Successful representation of oilfield services company in West Texas blowout dispute.
- Favorable defense and resolution of substantial litigation involving alleged fraud in a mineral sale.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national pipeline company accused of alleged ground water contamination on private land in West Texas.
- Handles oil and gas catastrophic matters.
- Handles environmental contamination cases.
- Represents an international oilfield services company in indemnity disputes.
- Successful defense of offshore operator concerning an ownership and insurance proceeds dispute; involved litigation in three federal forums.
- Handles numerous employment disputes, including misappropriation of trade secrets and covenants not to compete.
- Successfully represented employee against affiliated entities of major investment bank, involving Sarbanes-Oxley and Sabine Pilot issues.
- Represents executives and companies on employment contracts and related employment and tort claims.
- Represented digital graphics industry CEO in litigation over an employment agreement; successfully collected compensation from foreign company.
- Defended international employer against claims of negligent hiring and wrongful death; obtained favorable settlement.
- Frequently handles trade secret disputes.
- Represented energy supplier in federal copyright, trademark, and trade dress matter; achieved result at preliminary injunction stage.
- Represented auto-finance company pursuing a federal cybersquatting and trademark infringement action.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- President-Elect, 2014
- Director, 2009-Present
- Chair, DAYL Foundation, 2013
- Co-Chair, Judicial Intern Committee, 2005-2011
- Fellow, DAYL Foundation
- Dallas Bar Association
- Business Litigation Section, Member of Steering Committee
- Trial Skills Section
- Energy Section
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2013-Present
- American Bar Association
- Associate, Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, 2006-2007
- Barrister, William “Mac” Taylor Inn of Court, 2011-Present
- Southern Methodist University Alumni Board
- Member, Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- Chair, Volunteer Engagement Committee, 2014-Present
- SMU Young Alumni Board
- Chair, 2010-2011
- Member, Board of Directors, 2008-2012
- T. Boone Pickens Dallas YMCA
- Board of Management, 2013-Present
- Dallas Museum of Art Junior Associates
- Highland Park Presbyterian Church
- Dallas Aquatic Masters Swim Team
Honors and Awards
- Designated as "Rising Star" by Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2010-2014
Speeches & Events
|08.15.14|||||DBA Energy Section - Trends in Texas Oil & Gas Litigation|
|05.13.14|||||14 DBA Business Litigation Section – Pursuing and Defending Trade Secret Claims under the Texas Uniform Trade Secrets Act (“TUTSA”)|
Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Southern Methodist University, B.A., English and History, cum laude, 2002
Clerkship, Honorable Sam A. Lindsay, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, 2005-2006
Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas, 2005
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas