|1445 Ross Avenue|
Dallas, TX 75202
Jonathan R. Childers is a business trial lawyer who pursues and defends the interests of his clients in business litigation throughout Texas, and beyond. His practice centers upon energy litigation, partnership and business ownership disputes, trade secret litigation, and complex financial issues and damages. He has significant experience trying and litigating lawsuits involving intricate business issues. Jonathan tries and litigates cases frequently involving breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty (often in the finance and oil and gas contexts), theft of trade secrets, tortious interference, non-compete agreements, and business disparagement. He regularly assists clients in the energy (including operators, partnerships, and well servicers), finance (including private equity and investment management), commercial real estate, and healthcare industries.
Clients hire Jonathan when they want a lawyer who thinks strategically, moves swiftly, is unafraid to try a lawsuit and go to court, identifies and exploits the business drivers underlying the dispute, and litigates boldly – having the heart, work ethic, and resourcefulness to win.
Strategy enables Jonathan to achieve leverage multiples, often while battling opposing parties with far more lawyers staffing a case. The result: clients achieve effective results, cost consciously.
Jonathan served as a law clerk for the Honorable Sam A. Lindsay, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Jonathan believes in serving the community. In 2015, he serves as President of the 3,000 member Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (“DAYL”) and also as Volunteer Engagement Chair on the Southern Methodist University Alumni Board.
- Obtained $7.86 million jury verdict on behalf of medical consulting and services company for breach of contract and tortious interference.
- Successful defense of international private equity firm and two of its executives in four week jury trial over alleged breach of fiduciary duty and contracts.
- Regularly pursues and defends cases involving temporary restraining orders and injunctions in state and federal courts.
- Defends and pursues partnership and business divorce disputes, often under Texas and Delaware law.
- Frequently pursues and defends claims for veil piercing liability and fraudulent transfer.
- Successfully prosecuted a substantial finder's fee dispute concerning the introduction of M&A targets, including the defense of counterclaims for alleged securities violations.
- Favorable defense of an LLC and majority member in dispute involving a major mixed-use development project in north Texas; obtained an order cancelling lis pendens.
- Successfully prosecuted significant commercial real estate fraud litigation involving numerous parties and cross-claims.
- Obtained successful settlement of restrictive covenant dispute for major Dallas real estate developer.
- Favorable defense of national retailer in contract and bailment dispute.
- Handles contract litigation for large Texas-based employment search firm.
- Pursues negotiable instrument litigation for national REIT; obtained numerous judgments on behalf of client.
- Successful representation of oilfield services company in West Texas blowout dispute.
- Favorable defense and resolution of substantial litigation involving alleged fraud in a mineral sale.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national pipeline company accused of alleged ground water contamination on private land in West Texas.
- Handles oil and gas catastrophic matters.
- Handles environmental contamination cases.
- Represents an international oilfield services company in indemnity disputes.
- Successful defense of offshore operator concerning an ownership and insurance proceeds dispute; involved litigation in three federal forums.
- Handles numerous employment disputes, including misappropriation of trade secrets and covenants not to compete.
- Successfully represented employee against affiliated entities of major investment bank, involving Sarbanes-Oxley and Sabine Pilot issues.
- Represents executives and companies on employment contracts and related employment and tort claims.
- Represented digital graphics industry CEO in litigation over an employment agreement; successfully collected compensation from foreign company.
- Defended international employer against claims of negligent hiring and wrongful death; obtained favorable settlement.
- Frequently handles trade secret disputes.
- Victory for executive accused of stealing trade secrets and allegedly breaching his fiduciary duties; successfully defeated request for TRO.
- Represented energy supplier in federal copyright, trademark, and trade dress matter; achieved result at preliminary injunction stage.
- Represented auto-finance company pursuing a federal cybersquatting and trademark infringement action.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- President, 2015
- Director, 2009-Present
- Chair, DAYL Foundation, 2013
- Co-Chair, Judicial Intern Committee, 2005-2011
- Fellow, DAYL Foundation
- Dallas Bar Association
- Business Litigation Section, Member of Steering Committee
- Trial Skills Section
- Energy Section, Member of Advisory Council
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2013-Present
- American Bar Association
- Associate, Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, 2006-2007
- Barrister, William “Mac” Taylor Inn of Court, 2011-Present
- Southern Methodist University Alumni Board
- Member, Board of Directors, 2013-Present
- Chair, Volunteer Engagement Committee, 2014-Present
- SMU Young Alumni Board
- Chair, 2010-2011
- Member, Board of Directors, 2008-2012
- T. Boone Pickens Dallas YMCA
- Board of Management, 2013-Present
- Dallas Museum of Art Junior Associates
- Highland Park Presbyterian Church
- Dallas Aquatic Masters Swim Team
Honors and Awards
- Designated as "Rising Star" by Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2010-2014
Speeches & Events
Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Southern Methodist University, B.A., English and History, cum laude, 2002
Clerkship, Honorable Sam A. Lindsay, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division, 2005-2006
Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas, 2005
U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas